tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: Tomcat 7 doesn't start on Windows
Date Tue, 26 Feb 2013 22:37:36 GMT
Rune Stilling wrote:
> Hi list
>
> I have been trying to get this to work by looking a lot on similar situations around
the net but nothing works. My setup is as follows:

> * Tomcat 7.0.37 installed via the Windows service installer package
> * Windows 2003 server
> * Java/JRE 1.7.0_15
> * Using C:\Program Files\Java\jre7\bin\server\jvm.dll
>
> So the problem is that the Tomcat7 service won't start from the service control panel.
I just get a "Could not start …" and "Error 1053: The service did not respond …".

> There's nothing in the Tomcat logs (both stdout and stderr are empty). The event logs
shows a generic service control manager error.

> But - If I start the service from the command line by typing "tomcat7 //TS/Tomcat7" the
thing works fine.

> Also if I change the service user account to the "Administrator" account I get a different
error by startup "Error 1068: The dependency service or group failed to start".

> Any ideas?

Hi.
Running Tomcat as a Service under Windows, starting from the standard tomcat.apache.org
Windows installer package, is something that just works for everyone, all the time.
So it is probable that you are not getting any answers here, because nobody really has any

idea why Tomcat would not start as a Service in your case in particular.
Are you really running Tomcat "as is", or did you fiddle with the configuration, or add
some non-Tomcat component before you tried to start it ?

Also your error "The dependency service or group failed to start" is rather puzzling,
because to my knowledge the Tomcat Service does not depend on any other.

It is easy to check, at least under Window XP. Unfortunately the location of this is
something that the MS geniuses seem to take a vicious delight in changing in each new
Windows version; but to get back to Windows XP at least : click "Start..Run" and enter
"services.msc". You will see a list of services. Find Tomcat, right-click on it a choose
"Properties".  There should be a tab "dependencies".
In my case it's empty - and I believe that is how it should be.
If in your case it isn't, that might give you a first idea of what is going on.

A second source of ideas for what is going on may come from this Tomcat FAQ article :
http://wiki.apache.org/tomcat/FAQ/Windows#Q11