tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier>
Subject Re: Does windows authentication works on Tomcat under Linux.
Date Mon, 25 Feb 2013 10:48:25 GMT
Denis wrote:
> Hello,
>     I want to use Tomcat's Windows Authentication
> <>

> feature to have a reliable domain user name via
> HTTPServletRequest.getRemoteUser() within my servlet.
>     Questions:
>     1) Is Tomcat's Windows authentication supposed to work in my env?
>  * Application Server: apache-tomcat-7.0.21
>  * JDK version: 1.6.0_26
>  * OS: Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 5.5 (Tikanga)
>     2) Any additional setup required to be able to access domain
> username via HTTPServletRequest.getRemoteUser() within my servlet?
I do not know either if the above is supposed to work also under Linux as a platform.
It is not very clear in the Tomcat docs, and I have asked a couple of times on the list
without getting much of an answer.  (Probably because few people know).

Now just in case it doesn't work, the following works fine under Linux as well as under
Windows :
Jespa , at

You can download it and test it for 60 days free, and the final license costs are very
(I have no commercial interest in that, I just use it happily).

For Jespa, the answers to your questions are :
1) yes, it will work
2) apart from the setup of Jespa itself, no additional setup or change in the app is required.
The setup of Jespa does require the intervention of a sysadmin at the site though, because

it requires creating a "Windows machine account" for Jespa. See the doc, also available
for download.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message