tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier>
Subject Re: Tomcat 6 access Network drive and interact with desktop
Date Fri, 22 Feb 2013 13:16:45 GMT
David kerber wrote:

>> Top hit when googling for 'windows service interact with desktop'

>>> The basic answer to your question is :
>>> The fact that under Windows you cannot do what you seem to want, has
>>> to do
>>> with Windows and how it handles Windows "Services". It does not
>>> depend on
>>> Tomcat in any way, and there is nothing that you can do in Tomcat to
>>> change
>>> this.
>> You can flag a service as being allowed to interact with the desktop.
>> This is turned off by default
> And doesn't work in Windows Server 2008 and later.
>>> Apart from that, there seems to be something illogical in your request.
>> I think it is very strange that the server needs to open windows -
>> surely on the server nobody is going to be there to look at them?

For the record, usually when people want a Service - like in this case Tomcat - to be able

to open a Window, it is because they want to run from Tomcat, another program (like Word
e.g.) which requires a window in order to work properly.
And when they want to run a Service under a normal (aka Domain) user-id, it is because
they want this service to be able to access Windos "network resources" (like network
printers or network disk "shares").  The "local service" accounts are not allowed to
access these resources.
Our OP wants to do both, I presume.
The second part (using network resources) works fine.
The first part (running programs which require a Window) usually doesn't, because those
programs are usually such that they do not work "as a service".  It is not usually only
the fact that they need a console, but they need a whole bunch of other environment which

a Service does not provide.
It will only work when the other program is specifically designed to work that way.
For example, OpenOffice in "headless" mode works fine.  But MS-Office programs do not, and

this mode of operation is explicitly indicated by Microsoft as "not recommended and not

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message