tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: Tomcat 6 access Network drive and interact with desktop
Date Fri, 22 Feb 2013 11:37:50 GMT
Hi.
On this list, please do not "top post" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_posting)
It is preferred to answer in-line, or below the original question.
It makes it easier to follow the flow of conversation.

ankur bajaj wrote:
 > Hi
 >
 > It opens windows from third party applications. thats what I mean by
 > "interact with desktop"

The basic answer to your question is :
The fact that under Windows you cannot do what you seem to want, has to do with Windows
and how it handles Windows "Services". It does not depend on Tomcat in any way, and there

is nothing that you can do in Tomcat to change this.

Apart from that, there seems to be something illogical in your request.
Usually, when people run some software as a Service under Windows (or as a daemon under
Unix/Linux), it is because they want this program to run in the background, as a "server",

and do not want to interact with it via a command window.

Under Windows, if you absolutely want to allow a program (like the JVM which runs Tomcat)

to be able to run under a "normal" network user-id, /and/ allow this program to open
windows on the desktop, then you should not run it as a Service.  You should run it as a
normal program, from within a logged-in session, in a command window.
You can run Tomcat that way by using the "startup.bat" command file in the Tomcat bin
directory.