tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: basic auth required on https but not required on http
Date Wed, 20 Feb 2013 10:13:13 GMT
The standard modus operandi of this list is to not top-post (makes it more difficult to
follow the logical flow of conversation).
So I've copied your response and my further comments at end.

Andrew Winter wrote:
 > Thanks. A lot of file IO goes on with this app. There are a couple of files
 > in particular that are held open for the life of the app and written to
 > sporadically. I am thinking that having the same code as two web apps would
 > lead to those files getting clobbered. Is there a way to make the 'same
 > appbase with 2 hosts' version work?
 > On Feb 19, 2013 5:57 PM, "André Warnier" <aw@ice-sa.com> wrote:

Well, at first I'd say no.  Even if you were to point both appBase's at the same disk
location (and turn off "auto-deploy" !), you would still logically have different
"instances" of the webapp running at the same time (one for each host, at least).

There are certainly other ways to achieve what you want to do, but I am getting a bit out

of my depth here, so be careful of what I'm saying next, and maybe wait for other more
qualified people's comments.

One way that I could imagine would be to have a single <Host> with an alias, and wrap
your
webapp inside of a "servlet filter", which would check the host/port that the request came

in from. If it came in through the HTTPS connection (or the appropriate HTTPS hostname, or

a not-from-Intranet IP address), the filter would allow the request to proceed only if it

is authenticated, and otherwise redirect it to a login page e.g.
Maybe the URLRewriteFilter servlet filter (www.tuckey.org) would allow such a thing.  It's

a bit like the workhorse for things like that.
Otherwise you'd have to write your own (or get it written).
As a servlet-filter based solution, that would not require any modification to your
webapp.  It would not even know that it is being "wrapped" that way.
There are certainly people on this list who would be available for a little job like that.
(Not me though).