tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: HTTP rejections and too many open files exception on tomcat
Date Mon, 18 Feb 2013 17:15:01 GMT
Radha Krishnan D wrote:
> Hi
>
> Am sorry, clicked submit by mistake
>
> The below is the actual problem
>

> We are running into too many open files  exception on  our production tomcat server for
the last 2-3 days.

> We have max threads as 150 and acceptCount as 100 and at one point of time all the 250
threads are busy processing requests  (due to application related issues)

> At peak times, when all the threads are busy, new requests are rejected by tomcat.
>
> Nearly 40 mins to 1 hr after the rejections begin, there are too many open files exception
coming on the tomcat server..

> The number of file descriptors is 16384 and we are getting 50-60 requests per sec.
>
> What can be the root cause here.  After rejecting a request, is the socket not closed
immediately and this results in pile up of open files or is there some other reason ?

> Can any one help us in this regard ?

platform/OS version ?
Java version ?
Tomcat version (x.y.z) ?

"The number of file descriptors is 16384.." : where does that number come from ?
And are they sockets or other things ?

"After rejecting a request, is the socket not closed immediately and this results in pile

up of open files or is there some other reason ?"

There are some "states" in TCP/IP, that a connection goes through even after a close() has

been issued by the server side.  There are some delays there, and maybe that is a source
for your problem.  Google for "TCP state diagram".
Use "netstat" and "lsof" (under Unix/Linux) to find out more.