tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Christopher Schultz <>
Subject Re: Need to Specify keystorePass on Command Line - Update
Date Tue, 12 Feb 2013 22:59:45 GMT

On 2/12/13 4:27 AM, Mark Thomas wrote:
> On 12/02/2013 00:53, Harris, Jeffrey E. wrote:
>> Current status:
>> I replaced keystorePass=<password> with
>> 'keystorePass="${kspassword}"' in server.xml, and executed the
>> command "tomcat7 //TS//Tomcat7
>> --JvmOptions=-Dkspassword=<password>" and have been able to start
>> the SSL listener as a console application.
>> However, I have not been able to do the same thing with the
>> service, using "sc start Tomcat7
>> "--JvmOptions=-Dkspassword=<password>", or putting the parameter
>> into the properties of the service entry in Windows Services
>> Manager.
>> I know Charles Caldarale said it could not be done with a
>> service, but it is possible to pass parameters to a service, both
>> using the Windows Services Manager, and via the sc command line
>> utility.  I am just not sure what syntax Tomcat is expecting for
>> parameters; I would think it would match the syntax of the tomcat
>> command above, since that is basically what is being called, just
>> with different parameters.

Since OP is using "sc", there may be a problem there that you can't
specify command-line parameters to a service.

Obviously, adding the parameter to Windows Services Manager defeats
the whole "must be on the command line, can't be in the registry"

- -chris
Version: GnuPG/MacGPG2 v2.0.17 (Darwin)
Comment: GPGTools -
Comment: Using GnuPG with Thunderbird -