tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Christopher Schultz <>
Subject Build vs. buy (Was: [Seriously OT] Help in diagnosing server unresponsiveness)
Date Tue, 12 Feb 2013 15:36:05 GMT

> On 2/11/13 4:30 PM, Terence M. Bandoian wrote:
> I understand the considerations above and they are a part of the
> prevailing thinking. However, one underlying assumption of the
> supporting argument appears to be that today's programmers are not
> capable of developing maintainable code which I don't believe is
> true. As I understand it, programmer productivity is one of the
> most significant factors in the decision making process and it is a
> valid concern. IF (that's a big if) an application can be developed
> in half the time using a generalized solution, then that approach
> has to be considered along with a host of other concerns including
> the end product and the effect on the organization. I say reliance
> on generalized solutions is short-sighted because knowledge of the
> underlying technologies is lost, or never gained, along with the
> skills to work in those spheres.

Are you suggesting that people who program using Java are oblivious to
the innards of hardware architecture and are remain ignorant of these
important details? That's the logical conclusion to your argument.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but you have to admit that a Java
programmer (of which I'm one) saying that using a generalized solution
makes you ignorant is a bit like the pot calling the kettle black.

> Efficiency, flexibility, repairability, extensibility and
> reliability are all components of software quality and all are
> affected by complexity. Less complex systems are easier to
> maintain.
> To continue the aside, wasted energy is wasted energy and it may
> become a factor in software development at some point. I think
> decision makers should be taught that there is more to the bottom
> line than dollars and cents.

In my experience, by far the biggest time waster is trying to deal
with code that is (or has become) unmaintainable. Re-writing just
because a piece of code has become out-of-touch with current standards
or because nobody understands how it works is entirely wasted effort.
We have lots of places in our code where we have been spending -
literally - years recording from bad decisions in the past.

- -chris
Version: GnuPG/MacGPG2 v2.0.17 (Darwin)
Comment: GPGTools -
Comment: Using GnuPG with Thunderbird -