tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: deploy application in new service in tomcat
Date Thu, 07 Feb 2013 14:05:01 GMT
André Warnier wrote:
> Anil Goyal -X (anigoyal - Aricent Technologies at Cisco) wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am creating a new service in tomcat (7.0.20) with service name
>> 'catalina_new' and appBase='webapps' by doing some changes in server.xml.
>> I am keeping the appBase same as that for default service 'catalina'
>> I have several applications deployed under webapps.
>> I want only a single application with context '/feeder' to be
>> accesible through new service.
>> Condition: I do not want to have a separate appBase for new service
>> and deployed only the required app under this new appBase.
>>
>> In short, do we have a context based filtering in tomcat so that
>> tomcat incorporate request only from a specific context path and
>> ignore all others
>>

> I am not sure if I understand your question correctly, but if I do then
> there is some kind of contradiction, or impossibility.
> In tomcat (and in the servlet spec in general) a "context" /is/ a web
> application.
> So if you have a tomcat with an application under
> CATALINA_BASE/webapps/feeder, and a client asks for the URL
> http://your_tomcat_host:port/feeder, it will get it.
> If you do not want this application to be accessible, don't deploy it in
> your host.
> Or use a separate <Host> to give it a separate hostname and/or port and
> a separate appBase.  That's less complicated than running two separate
> Tomcat instances.

I know that replying to my own posts is bad form, but I also missed something else above.

Why would you want to create a new "Service" in Tomcat, just to deploy an additional
application ?
I'm not sure exactly what a new "Service"-level item brings here, but surely that's not
the right level at which to do these things, or ?