tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Mark Eggers <its_toas...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: can't start tomcat on port 80
Date Wed, 06 Feb 2013 20:34:57 GMT
On 2/6/2013 12:28 PM, Mark Eggers wrote:
> On 2/6/2013 12:06 PM, Konstantin Kolinko wrote:
>> 2013/2/6 Karolis Monkus <karolis.monkus@dts-solutions.lt>:
>>> Ok guys, i did what you all said: Removed that crappy 3rd party
>>> tomcat and downloaded tomcat tarball and port changing works fine.
>>> Now i need to run tomcat as service and since it's a Fedora it uses
>>> systemd instead init. So i created file called tomcat.service and
>>> placed it in /etc/systemd/system/ directory.
>>>
>>> tomcat.service:
>>>
>>> [Service]
>>>
>>> ExecStart=/usr/share/apache-tomcat-7.0.35/bin/startup.sh
>>>
>>> Restart=restart-always
>>>
>>> [Install]
>>>
>>> WantedBy=multi-user.target
>>>
>>> Then i enable service using command "systemctl enable
>>> tomcat.service" But nothing happens when i start tomcat with
>>> "service tomcat start" Am i missing some more information in that
>>> tomcat.service file?
>>>

>> 1. I would guess that the above command would try to start Tomcat by
>> the root user.  DO NOT do that.
>>
>> Do not forget to delete files in Tomcat's log and work folders that
>> are now owned by root. Otherwise starting it with other user will
>> fail.
>>
>> 2. Have you read RUNNING.txt ?
>>
>> 3. Do not top-post.
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posting_style#Choosing_the_proper_posting_style
>>

>>> But nothing happens when i start tomcat with "service tomcat
>>> start"
>>
>> What exactly do you mean by "nothing" ?
>
> A quick glance through yum on Fedora 18 with the following:
>
> yum search tomcat | grep systemd
>
> doesn't reveal anything.
>
> However, there is
>
> tomcat-systemv.noarch : Systemv scripts for Apache Tomcat
>
> I suspect that getting Tomcat to start up using systemd is more complex
> than just the simple file you've put together.
>
> There is also:
>
> tomcat-jsvc.noarch : Apache jsvc wrapper for Apache Tomcat as separate
>                       service
> apache-commons-daemon-jsvc.x86_64 : Java daemon launcher
>
> I think using jsvc is a much better route to take if you're running
> Tomcat on port 80.
>
> . . . . just my two cents.
> /mde/

Following up on my own post:

I'd download the tomcat-jsvc.noarch and unpack it to see what they did.

Then I'd get the Apache Commons Daemon from the source and compile it:

http://commons.apache.org/daemon/

Finally, I'd use the information from the RPM as a guide, along with:

http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/setup.html

And comments in this article:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/12887028/running-tomcat6-with-jsvc

to get you going.