tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Mark Eggers <its_toas...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: can't start tomcat on port 80
Date Wed, 06 Feb 2013 20:28:57 GMT
> 2013/2/6 Karolis Monkus <karolis.monkus@dts-solutions.lt>:
>> Ok guys, i did what you all said: Removed that crappy 3rd party
>> tomcat and downloaded tomcat tarball and port changing works fine.
>> Now i need to run tomcat as service and since it's a Fedora it uses
>> systemd instead init. So i created file called tomcat.service and
>> placed it in /etc/systemd/system/ directory.
>>
>> tomcat.service:
>>
>> [Service]
>>
>> ExecStart=/usr/share/apache-tomcat-7.0.35/bin/startup.sh
>>
>> Restart=restart-always
>>
>> [Install]
>>
>> WantedBy=multi-user.target
>>
>> Then i enable service using command "systemctl enable
>> tomcat.service" But nothing happens when i start tomcat with
>> "service tomcat start" Am i missing some more information in that
>> tomcat.service file?
>>

> 1. I would guess that the above command would try to start Tomcat by
> the root user.  DO NOT do that.
>
> Do not forget to delete files in Tomcat's log and work folders that
> are now owned by root. Otherwise starting it with other user will
> fail.
>
> 2. Have you read RUNNING.txt ?
>
> 3. Do not top-post.
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posting_style#Choosing_the_proper_posting_style
>

>> But nothing happens when i start tomcat with "service tomcat
>> start"
>
> What exactly do you mean by "nothing" ?

A quick glance through yum on Fedora 18 with the following:

yum search tomcat | grep systemd

doesn't reveal anything.

However, there is

tomcat-systemv.noarch : Systemv scripts for Apache Tomcat

I suspect that getting Tomcat to start up using systemd is more complex
than just the simple file you've put together.

There is also:

tomcat-jsvc.noarch : Apache jsvc wrapper for Apache Tomcat as separate
                      service
apache-commons-daemon-jsvc.x86_64 : Java daemon launcher

I think using jsvc is a much better route to take if you're running
Tomcat on port 80.

. . . . just my two cents.
/mde/