tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Mark Eggers <its_toas...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Tomcat
Date Wed, 06 Feb 2013 16:20:35 GMT
On 2/6/2013 3:20 AM, Mohit.Garg@rbs.com wrote:

> Hi Thanks for all the help and I know it may sound lame but I am
> trying to learn these things. Although I have one more doubt. If we
> have multiple tomcat for multiple environment on the single Unix
> box(machine) Now Single Apache daemon is running for multiple
> environment. So can we run multiple instance of Apache daemon in the
> same machine or not for each different environment. If this is
> possible how can we accomplish this.
>
> Thanks in advance for the help and sorry for bugging the group with
> such silly questions.
>
> MOHIT GARG Analyst International Banking RBS Block No 1, Tower A,
> Unitech Infospace Complex Sector 21, Gurgaon, Haryana, 122002, India
> Office: +91 8860190177
>
> -----Original Message----- From: André Warnier
> [mailto:aw@ice-sa.com] Sent: 06 February 2013 16:21 To: Tomcat Users
> List Subject: Re: Tomcat
>
> Mohit.Garg@rbs.com wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> Regrets for the wrong framing of question. Actually I am new to
>> tomcat and what I really want to do is run on the same server two
>> different tomcats so that one doesn't interfere with the working of
>> the other. As I have different environments so I want that the
>> tomcat running in my development environment do not access the
>> files of my SIT environment and vice-versa. That's why I want to
>> have a separate tomcat process for each host. If I just change the
>> port in the config file the request will be mapped but the various
>> environments will have access to all the files as it will be
>> present in the common directory.
>>

> Ah, that's better. So we forget about Apache httpd, right ? So,
> assuming that you are talking about tomcat only :
>
> There are (many) different levels of separation, depending on what
> you really want to separate.
>
> First, a note : considering that you are on a Linux machine, it is
> highly possible that you have installed Tomcat using a pre-packaged
> version from your Linux distribution. These packages work fine and
> are easy to install for a normal single-instance case, but they make
> it more difficult for doing the kind of thing that you want to do,
> and more difficult for people on this list to help you.  That is
> because each of these packages distributes the files of Tomcat in
> different places on the disk, sets different environment variables,
> sets differents links from one directory to the other in the
> filesystem, etc.. So it would be better to install a "standard"
> tomcat downloaded from the website "tomcat.apache.org", to some
> directory like /opt/tomcat, and follow the instructions that are
> given in the "RUNNING.txt" file at the top of this distribution. This
> way, everyone here knows what you are talking about and has a good
> idea of where things are. (You can also leave your current Tomcat
> where it is, and consider it as your "production" tomcat, and
> download and install another copy to another directory as your
> [...]

+1 for all tha André has said.

(Mark-like novella typing detected above :p)

Anyway, what we do is the following:

1. One Apache HTTPD

This runs named virtual hosts and IP-based virtual hosts (see the Apache
HTTPD docs and the Apache HTTPD mailing list)

2. mod_jk between Apache HTTPD and multiple Tomcats

2a. Each Tomcat gets its own worker.properties configuration

See http://tomcat.apache.org/connectors-doc/reference/workers.html for
details. There are great examples in the recent mod_jk source  bundle.

2b. Each named virtual host gets its own uriworkermap.properties file

See http://tomcat.apache.org/connectors-doc/reference/uriworkermap.html
for details. There are great examples in the recent mod_jk source bundle.

3. Tomcat configuration

3a. Make sure that each Tomcat has a <Host> element that corresponds to
each Apache named virtual host (or IP-based virtual host) that it's
responsible for.

3b. Make sure that the ports are different for each Tomcat.
(Shutdown port, AJP port, any HTTP/1.1 ports)

4. Run each Tomcat as a separate service

We use a separate start-up script for each. Each start-up script reads
from a configuration file that has CATALINA_HOME, CATALINA_BASE, and
JRE_HOME defined. This means we can run different JVMs for different
Tomcats, and upgrade each Tomcat separately.

5. As André pointed out, run a stock Tomcat from tomcat.apache.org

6. Run all of the Tomcats from an unprivileged account

We make the account only accessible via su, control access, and monitor
its use. This makes auditing much easier.

I'm sure there is more, but this is quite long enough as it is.

. . . . just my two cents.
/mde/