tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: Tomcat
Date Wed, 06 Feb 2013 09:59:37 GMT
Mohit.Garg@rbs.com wrote:

> Hi
>
> I am using a tomcat server on a Linux machine.
> Is there any way I can run multiple instances of apached daemon process so that if daemon
for environment A do not have access to files for environment B.
> In short I want to run multiple daemon processes.

Hi. No offense but the way you are asking your question tends to suggest that you have a
limited understanding of how this stuff works. Here are some pointers :

You seem to be talking about 2 different products :
1) Apache httpd : is a general purpose webserver, made by people who belong to the Apache

httpd project (see : httpd.apache.org)
2) Apache Tomcat : is also a webserver, but mainly a "java servlet container", designed
primarily to run web applications written in java.  It is made by other people who belong

to the Apache Tomcat project (see : tomcat.apache.org)

(And see "www.apache.org" for what "Apache" really is).

Either one of Apache httpd or Apache tomcat can act as a webserver, serve static content
and run web applications.
They can also work in combination, with Apache httpd acting as a front-end to one or more

Tomcat servers.  If the client browsers always access the front-end Apache httpd server,
and the front-end Apache httpd server then distributes the work to several back-end tomcat

servers, this is called "proxying" and/or "load balancing".  There are also other programs

(or hardware boxes) that can act as "proxy" and/or "load-balancer".

In both cases (Apache httpd or tomcat), you /can/ run several instances on a same host.
It is only a matter of configuration.
Generally-speaking however, if the problem is that one instance is not enough to support
the load that is put on it, multiplying the instances on the same host will not help.
You will need either to improve your applications (so that they respond better), or use a

bigger machine, or multiply the hosts and divide the load between them (using a
load-balancing configuration).

If the question is about separating the documents or applications into several independent

"domains", so that one "website" does not have access to the data of another website, then

in both cases the solution may be to run one single instance, but use what is know as
"virtual hosts" (where one instance responds to several hostnames, each having its own
documents and applications).

So now, would you like to rephrase your question more precisely ?