tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Mark Eggers <its_toas...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: can't start tomcat on port 80
Date Tue, 05 Feb 2013 16:34:03 GMT
On 2/5/2013 8:04 AM, Jukka Ruohonen wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 05, 2013 at 04:37:42PM +0200, Karolis Monkus wrote:
>> I use fedora 17 and from yum downloaded tomcat-7.0.33 version. I changed
>> port from 8080 to 80 in server.xml, restarted tomcat and got the following
>> error in catalina.out file:
>
> How are you (re)starting Tomcat?
>
> As far as I know, Fedora is still in the process of migrating to the new
> init-system known as systemd.  As others have noted, I believe this mandates
> patching some of the stock scripts.
>
> -Jukka.

jsvc seems to be in the repo, at least for Fedora 18.

tomcat-jsvc.noarch : Apache jsvc wrapper for Apache Tomcat as separate
                      service
apache-commons-daemon-jsvc.x86_64 : Java daemon launcher

The FAQ has also been mentioned:

http://wiki.apache.org/tomcat/HowTo#How_to_run_Tomcat_without_root_privileges.3F

As Chuck mentioned in another message, using third party repackaged
versions of Tomcat make it difficult for people on this mailing list to
help.

I usually use a stock Tomcat running as a normal user and front it with
Apache HTTPD using mod_jk. However, I have other requirements that make
this reasonable. You may not.

. . . . just my two cents.
/mde/