tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Christopher Schultz <>
Subject Re: Tomcat and Sun/Oracle Java 7
Date Tue, 05 Feb 2013 15:10:33 GMT

On 2/4/13 2:37 PM, André Warnier wrote:
> Thanks to all. I got more than I was bargaining for.
> To summarise thus, if I understand correctly what was said here,
> and asking forgiveness in advance for pretty bad English style :
> - any well-written java application, which does not use any
> vendor-specific JVM API (or "internals") should be able to run on
> any JVM of a level equal or superior to the one it compiles (or has
> been compiled) under. (Barring any specific bug in the JVM in
> question)

It's not so much using a vendor-specific API (like using Sun's Base64
encoder, etc.) but using methods from a version of the API that is
higher than what you are trying to run under. For instance, the
ResultSet.getRowId() method wasn't added until Java 6. You can compile
your class with Java 6 (which will work) and then if you try to run it
on Java 5, it won't work. Nothing vendor-specific... just a version

> - any well-written java web-application, written in conformance
> with a given Java Servlet Specification level, which does not use
> any of the above JVM "internals" nor any container-specific APIs,
> should be able to run under any java servlet container which
> supports the same Java Servlet Specification level. (Barring any
> specific bug in the servlet container in question)
> And if any java application or java web-application does not run as
> per the above rules, then we should ask the vendor/developer of
> this application why not.

Seems reasonable.

- -chris
Version: GnuPG/MacGPG2 v2.0.17 (Darwin)