tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Roberto <mrgrei...@gmail.com>
Subject Tomcat in port 80 and Debian
Date Tue, 05 Feb 2013 10:25:33 GMT
Hi,

I need help with a seemingly trivial question: How to make tomcat use
port 80.

I have fresh Debian 6.0.6/64 bit install, with Tomcat 6 installed.
Following some messages, I found in Debian a setting in
/etc/default/tomcat that would solve my problem, which is setting
AUTHBIND=yes. The problem is that a comment immediately before this says
that this is only recommended for IPv4, not to be used for IPv6. But
these days, IPv6 is a requirement. All my servers have IPv6 in
production, and I will not/want not to install a brand new server that
works only in IPv4.

Running Tomcat as root is also not an option, for security concerns. So,
how should I proceed to make Tomcat listen on port 80? Set iptables to
redirect port 80 to 8080? Some other path? Could someone point me to the
proper document/manual?

Tks,

Roberto Greiner

                Marcos Roberto Greiner

   Os otimistas acham que estamos no melhor dos mundos
    Os pessimistas tem medo de que isto seja verdade
                                  James Branch Cabell