tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: Tomcat and Sun/Oracle Java 7
Date Mon, 04 Feb 2013 19:37:41 GMT
Thanks to all. I got more than I was bargaining for.

To summarise thus, if I understand correctly what was said here, and asking forgiveness in

advance for pretty bad English style :

- any well-written java application, which does not use any vendor-specific JVM API (or
"internals") should be able to run on any JVM of a level equal or superior to the one it
compiles (or has been compiled) under.
(Barring any specific bug in the JVM in question)

- any well-written java web-application, written in conformance with a given Java Servlet

Specification level, which does not use any of the above JVM "internals" nor any
container-specific APIs, should be able to run under any java servlet container which
supports the same Java Servlet Specification level.
(Barring any specific bug in the servlet container in question)

And if any java application or java web-application does not run as per the above rules,
then we should ask the vendor/developer of this application why not.

Is that it ?