tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: Tomcat and Sun/Oracle Java 7
Date Mon, 04 Feb 2013 14:39:21 GMT
Mark Thomas wrote:
> On 04/02/2013 13:41, Caldarale, Charles R wrote:
>>> From: Mark Thomas [mailto:markt@apache.org] Subject: Re: Tomcat and
>>> Sun/Oracle Java 7
>>> There are no known issues.
>> Although there are no issues with running Tomcat under Java 7, I was
>> under the impression that Tomcat 7 and below could not be built with
>> Java 7 due to JRE interface incompatibilities.
>
> Correct. JDBC. Again.

Ok, then sorry about my persistent deep lack of knowledge of Java-things, but are the
following assumptions correct ? (and if not, why ?)

- tomcat 6 will run fine under a Sun/Oracle Java 1.6 JVM
- tomcat 7 will run fine under a Sun/Oracle Java 1.6 JVM
- tomcat 6 will run fine under a Sun/Oracle Java 1.7 JVM
- tomcat 7 will run fine under a Sun/Oracle Java 1.7 JVM
- tomcat 6 will run fine under an OpenJDK Java 1.7 JVM
- tomcat 7 will run fine under an OpenJDK Java 1.7 JVM

and, there may (or may not) be problems compiling a servlet that uses JDBC under a
Sun/Oracle Java 1.7 JDK, but assuming that this servlet does not use JDBC in any way :

- the classes of a servlet that has been compiled under a Sun/Oracle Java 1.6 JDK will run

fine under Tomcat 6 and a Sun/Oracle Java 1.7 JVM
- the classes of a servlet that has been compiled under a Sun/Oracle Java 1.7 JDK will run

fine under Tomcat 6 and a Sun/Oracle Java 1.6 JVM
- the classes of a servlet that has been compiled under a Sun/Oracle Java 1.6 JDK will run

fine under Tomcat 6 and a OpenJDK Java 1.6 JVM
- the classes of a servlet that has been compiled under a Sun/Oracle Java 1.6 JDK will run

fine under Tomcat 6 and a OpenJDK Java 1.7 JVM

or alternatively, is it so that to run a servlet compiled under some JDK only works under

the corresponding JRE/JVM ?
(or any other simpler rule-of-thumb rather than my exhaustive kind of list above)

I apologise if these are more Java-level questions than Tomcat-level questions, but as a
sysadmin I have to decide which JVM to install, to run Tomcat along with webapps which I
receive pre-compiled, and other non-Tomcat Java applications also precompiled.
And I have to decide this for several Linux and Windows platforms, whereas I am told that

for some of these platforms at least, the pre-packaged versions of Java and/or Tomcat are

not always the most recent ones. Hence my confusion.