tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Miguel González Castaños <miguel_3_gonza...@yahoo.es>
Subject Re: Help in diagnosing server unresponsiveness
Date Sat, 02 Feb 2013 18:56:21 GMT

> Zoran,
>
> On 1/31/13 8:36 PM, Zoran Avtarovski wrote:
>> We have a application running on the latest Tomcat7 and we are
>> getting a server crash or becoming unresponsive. This occur every
>> few days at no fixed intervals or time of day and they certainly
>> don't correlate to any app function ­ at least not according to the
>> logs.
> Can you describe the "crash" in more detail? OOME? IF so, what kind
> (heap or PermGen)? Lock-up (deadlock, etc)? Actual JVM crash (produces
> a core dump or native stack dump)?
I would go in that direction too. Enable logs and core or stack dumps
and analyze them. Be sure you are not restarting Tomcat in your crontab
(i had a server which was restarted once a week and masked some memory
starvation).

In my case I can tell you I had to end up disabling JaveMelody (it was
provoking some side effects in our webapp as not managing international
chars in the right way). If reports from Javamelody are not giving you
any clue, beware that Javamelody has its own memory overhead (not much
in your case but in my case it was around 200 Mb of heap in a 1 Gb
virtual server).

I followed Chris directions, I got stack dumps after a server crash and
analyzed it with eclipse analyzer. I realized our programmer decided to
load too many objects in memory than the server could cope with. So no
memory leak but bad memory management was the root cause.

Regards,

Miguel