tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: Tomcat does not start with -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.port=9001
Date Fri, 01 Feb 2013 12:36:13 GMT
spring@gmx.eu wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I want to monitor my tomcat 7 via JMX remotely. The problem is, as soon as I
> add -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.port=9001 to my setenv.sh tomcat does not
> start anymore. No error message, no log, nothing...
>
> The system is a ubuntu which uses start-stop-demon to execute catalina.sh.
>
> What could be the problem?

there must be a log message somewhere.
The problem is probably that under Ubuntu, the startup script redirects the STDERR log
somewhere, where you are not looking (via SYSLOG to /var/log/daemon.log e.g.).
This is a switch for the Java JVM, and it probably bumps out before Tomcat is even started

inside the JVM.
As to the basic error cause, do a "netstat -an" and look at what else may be using port
9001 already.