tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Leo Donahue - RDSA IT <LeoDona...@mail.maricopa.gov>
Subject RE: docBase
Date Wed, 16 Jan 2013 21:17:34 GMT

Thank you sir.

What if one suffers from having conservatively configured nodes?  The amount of image cache
we would want to create would not fit on any of our webservers.  Our web servers are virtualized
and have only a few GB of storage.

Moving off topic:

How does google do this:  http://mt1.google.com/vt/lyrs=m@205000000&hl=en&src=app&x=11&y=25&z=6&s=Ga
 do you think these images are sitting on every node?  And what if google wanted to include
an option to view aerial photos for each year for the past ten years?  That becomes a lot
of data that lives on each node?

In the example above, when a user requests an image tile from google, you can't tell whether
that image lives on the webserver, or whether the webserver fetches that image from a share
on another server.

I have a lot of room on my NAS, but not on my webservers.  When we cache images for just our
county, depending on how many scale levels I create and tile size, I can end up with several
hundred GB for just a single year of aerial photos.  Reading those images on local (webserver)
storage vs network storage is what I'm trying to decide.