tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Linoma DevTeam <>
Subject Tomcat vs IIS download speed - configuration suggestions?
Date Thu, 10 Jan 2013 13:56:14 GMT
Hi everyone,

I'm running some comparison tests with tomcat 6.0.35 and IIS running in
parallel on Windows Server 2008 R2.  Now I would expect Tomcat to be
somewhat slower, given the extra JVM layer, but in some situations, i'm
seeing differences that are tough to swallow.

IIS         ~3.7 MB/s
Tomcat  ~350 KB/s

Test Details:
I placed a ~500MB file in the document root of the web app on tomcat and
set up an HTTPS connector.  Then I set up IIS with the same file and an
HTTPS listener.  I configured the cipher suite in tomcat to be the same one
that was negotiated between IIS and my Chrome browser.  Finally, I set the
JVM max memory to 1024MB with a min of 900MB to reduce the impact of the GC
and the memory allocation.

I'm using HTTP/1.1 connectors with pretty standard configuration:

<Server port="9005" shutdown="SHUTDOWN">

<Service name="admin">
<Connector port="9080" />

<Connector port="9443" protocol="HTTP/1.1"
SSLEnabled="true" enableLookups="false" disableUploadTimeout="true"
scheme="https" secure="true" clientAuth="false" sslProtocol="TLS"
algorithm="SunX509" keystoreFile="C:\temp\sample_keystore.jks"
keystorePass="password" keyAlias="sample-key" keystoreType="JKS"
truststoreFile="C:\temp\sample_truststore.jks" truststorePass="password"
truststoreType="JKS" />

<Engine name="admin" defaultHost="localhost">
<Host name="localhost" appBase="webapps"
<Context path="/sample" docBase="C:\temp\application\WebRoot"
<Loader delegate="true" />

So, I extend the question of, why would tomcat only be able to reach 10% of
the speed IIS is able to server when running parallel tests?  Any
suggestions on configurations that I could adjust on Tomcat, the JVM, or
operating system that improve that download speed?

Thanks in advance!