tomcat-users mailing list archives

From John Rellis <>
Subject worker not marked as in error when shutdown with ping mode enabled
Date Thu, 03 Jan 2013 15:54:45 GMT
Hello folks,

I am using apache 2.2.3 and mod_jk as a load balancer for two tomcat 7
instances over AJP 1.3.

I am attempting to use the ping_mode option to enable workers to be
disabled when there is a tomcat out of memory error on one of the workers.

To test initially, I have set a ping_mode=A and it is my understanding that
this will ping the AJP connector every 100 seconds and mark the worker as
in error if it is not responding.

However, when I shutdown one of the workers, wait for a few minutes without
attempting connection, the worker does not become marked as in error on my
mod_jk status page.

Are my assumptions that shutting down the worker should see it marked as in
error on the jk status page correct?

Do I need to add anything to my "pre-ping_mode" tomcat configuration to get
this to work?

Do I need to add extra configuration to get this to work?

Here is a sample from my

Many thanks,

John Rellis