tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Daniel Mikusa <dmik...@vmware.com>
Subject Re: Communication flow with different connectors
Date Wed, 09 Jan 2013 15:09:44 GMT
On Jan 9, 2013, at 9:06 AM, vicki@thepenguin.org wrote:

> Hi Daniel:
>
> I appreciate your reply and apologize for the top post (am using a stupid mail client
from work). Your answer gets me part way there, but what is the most confusing to me is the
use of JkMount. How does that fit into the picture from a communication perspective. I hope
this question is clear, but since my Google searches are not turning up anything, I fear that
it won't be.

Sorry, I'm not sure I follow you here.  JkMount is used to map a path onto a particular worker.
 Let's say a request comes in for "/your-app" and you have "JkMount /your-app worker1" in
your HTTPD configuration.  That would instruct mod_jk to take the request and send it to worker1.
 If a request came in for "/some-other-app", then mod_jk would do nothing because it does
not match with what is configured by JkMount.

If you have not done so already, I would suggest you go through the docs and setup a playground
environment.  I think this is a good place to start.

  https://tomcat.apache.org/connectors-doc/generic_howto/quick.html

Hope that helps.

Dan

> Thanks,
> CaptainVic

 It's a little old, but still good.

>  http://www.tomcatexpert.com/blog/2010/06/16/deciding-between-modjk-modproxyhttp-and-modproxyajp
>

>> Ideally I would love to see a diagram of communication between apache and tomcat,
but I haven't found anything like that. I want to confirm my understanding of the data flow.

> Not quite sure what you mean by this, gonna take a couple guesses...
>
> 1.) If you are looking for an explanation of how a request travels from a client to Tomcat,
then this might help.

> When using mod_jk or mod_proxy_ajp, traffic flows from the client to Tocmat like this...
>
>   client  -> HTTP(s) -> Apache HTTPD -> AJP -> Tomcat
>
> then from Tomcat back to the client over the same path.
>
> If using mod_proxy_http, it is similar but looks like this.
>
>   client  -> HTTP(s) -> Apache HTTPD -> HTTP(s) -> Tomcat
>
> then from Tomcat back to the client over the same path.
>

> 2.) If you are looking for more details on the AJP protocol and how data is sent between
HTTPD & Tomcat, I would suggest starting here.

>  https://tomcat.apache.org/connectors-doc/ajp/ajpv13a.html
>
> Then I would suggest that you run Wireshark and take a look at some actual traffic.
It gives you a good visualization of the traffic.