tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Caldarale, Charles R" <Chuck.Caldar...@unisys.com>
Subject RE: [OT] Best way to log requests from a servlet and to a database?
Date Sat, 26 Jan 2013 14:06:34 GMT
> From: Brian Braun [mailto:brianbraun@gmail.com]
> Subject: Re: Best way to log requests from a servlet and to a database?

(Marking this off-topic, since it has nothing to do with Tomcat.)

> My current method can hold about 3000 threads until memory collapses. I'm
> looking to replace this method with something more efficient in terms of
> RAM usage. Something like a buffer, where each item needs far less RAM than
> the kind of threads I'm creating now. Then when it gets full I will use
> Amazon's queue as a failover mechanism.Any ideas?  :-)

Instead of using one additional thread per log entry, use just _one_ additional logging service
thread.  When each request processing thread has prepared the object representing the log
entry to be made, that object should be placed on a synchronized FIFO queue.  If the logging
service thread is idle, the request processing thread should mark the logging service thread
as active and wake it up before unlocking the queue; if the logging service thread is already
active, the request processing thread just unlocks the queue after enqueuing its entry.  When
the logging service thread wakes up, it must lock the queue, remove _all_ the entries currently
on the queue, unlock the queue, and send all the removed entries to the database in as few
calls as possible.  Once that's done, the logging service thread relocks the queue, checks
for any new arrivals and repeats as needed.  If no new arrivals, it marks itself as inactive,
and goes to sleep on the queue.  No polling required.

You can use the standard synchronization methods (wait(), notify(), etc.) for all this (safest),
or the newer but easier to abuse java.util.concurrent operations.

 - Chuck