tomcat-users mailing list archives

From David kerber <dcker...@verizon.net>
Subject Re: 64 Bit Tomcat
Date Wed, 30 Jan 2013 22:03:13 GMT
IME, 64 bit operating systems are far more common on the server side
than 32-bit.  Workstations are still a mix.  I use either 32-bit or
64-bit tomcat interchangeably, depending on the memory needs of the
application I'm deploying.  The only thing I have to change when I
switch is the database drivers from 32-bit versions to 64-bit, and I'm
gradually replacing that in various apps with a native java db driver
which needs nothing from windows.

On 1/30/2013 4:51 PM, Williams, Nick wrote:
> Our enterprise apps are deployed in a 64-bit environment and we have not seen any issues
on Tomcat 64-bit with Spring Framework, Spring Security and Hibernate. I would wager that,
these days, 64-bit is more common than not. However, I don't have any research to back up
my opinion.

> Nick

32 bit JVM and Tomcat. We are running into memory issues as we add more functionality (some
via tools in the open source ecosystem). We are testing our complete app with 64 bit JVM and
64 bit Tomcat and so far we have seen no issues. My question is how prevalent is the deployment
of 64 bit enterprise apps. (just to show my naiveté).
> We use some open source tools and look to use more in the future. Is there things I should
be worried about in moving to 64 bit in terms of open source tools?

> I'll take any and all input.
>
> Thanks very much.
> Pat
>

> This e-mail may contain privileged or confidential information. If you are not the intended
recipient: (1) you may not disclose, use, distribute, copy or rely upon this message or attachment(s);
and (2) please notify the sender by reply e-mail, and then delete this message and its attachment(s).
Underwriters Laboratories Inc. and its affiliates disclaim all liability for any errors, omissions,
corruption or virus in this message or any attachments.