tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Mark Thomas <>
Subject Re: URLStreamHandlerFactory
Date Thu, 17 Jan 2013 14:13:00 GMT
On 17/01/2013 14:02, e e wrote:
> Can anyone please provide me this information please..... Sorry for being
> persistent!!
> I am still not clear why a URLStreamHandlerFactory is required for JNDI!!!

It isn't.

> I thought Context.lookup() is what the web-apps will do!

They do.

> Why would the web-apps want to use a new URL("jndi://....");

They don't.

> Where/why does tomcat have  to use jndi URLs to fetch resources??

Where? Everywhere Tomcat wants to access a web application resource.

Why? Because many years a decision was taken or provide an abstraction
based on the JNDI interface to access resources to support alternative
resource implementations to the standard WAR and directory ones provided
by Tomcat

> Can you please elaborate on "It is because Tomcat uses "jndi://..." for
> handling web application resources".

See above.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail: