tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Alan Findly <afin...@ronan.net>
Subject Re: Question about config and correct start-up
Date Thu, 17 Jan 2013 04:43:36 GMT
The recommended context "ELEMENT" caused the following warning:

Jan 16, 2013 9:10:37 AM org.apache.tomcat.util.digester.Digester endElement
WARNING:   No rules found matching 'Context/Context'.

So I changed the "ELEMENT" to this --as below--
and voila ..... the warning went away.

My thread seems out of context(no pun intended) because I made the
unwarranted assumption that the original thread would be included in
every reply & comment.....as it should be....otherwise I have to
re-iterate the problem, ie. thread...every time.

The problem I'm trying to solve is making tomcat do cgi, and the
Apache.tomcat documentation says to do basically 3 tasks: (1) Uncomment
the cgi servlet in the conf/web.xm file.  (2) In same file uncomment the
cgi servlet mappingl.  (3)  Add the context "ELEMENT" to the context.xml
file.

So, now, as already covered in the previous parts of this problem's
thread, the cgi functionality is still not working--at least not for
perl--cgi files, which are all I've tested since this is my focus.

Question; do I need a Tomcat/lib/servlet-cgi.jar file?  Previous
versions did -- well, version 5.  I am working with version 7.0.34 and
there is no such jar file in the downloaded tar.  Now the servlet in
conf/web.xml could be "it" instead of a jar file. However, what has me
questioning -- there is also an api servlet in conf/web.xml--as well as
a lib/servlet-api.jar file.

I'm thinking now that the REAL problem is Windows XP.....always been a
dog....I think it has something missing to purposely lock out cgi. I'm
thinking i should just throw it away & migrate to a Linux box.

Thanks Mark and Chuck for your help, and I'm still listening if someone
has a current Tomcat-for-WindowsXP solution.

Peace,
Alan

>> From: Alan Findly [mailto:afindly@ronan.net]
>> Subject: Re: Question about config and correct start-up
>> That context statement is not correct syntax....
>> should be: <privileged="true"/>
> Thank you for providing a clear example of why top-posting is evil: no one has any idea
which of the several <Context> elements (they're not statements) in the message you
are referring to.

> In any event, the angle brackets should not be present in <Context> attributes;
this is standard XML syntax.  The <Context> element should look like this: