tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Pid <...@pidster.com>
Subject Re: docBase
Date Wed, 16 Jan 2013 21:57:42 GMT
On 16/01/2013 21:17, Leo Donahue - RDSA IT wrote:
> [...]
cache we would want to create would not fit on any of our webservers.  Our web servers are
virtualized and have only a few GB of storage.

If it can be publicly accessible, but CDNs are increasingly inexpensive.

> Moving off topic:
>
> How does google do this:  http://mt1.google.com/vt/lyrs=m@205000000&hl=en&src=app&x=11&y=25&z=6&s=Ga
 do you think these images are sitting on every node?  And what if google wanted to include
an option to view aerial photos for each year for the past ten years?  That becomes a lot
of data that lives on each node?

No.  Custom CDN & some clever storage.

> In the example above, when a user requests an image tile from google, you can't tell
whether that image lives on the webserver, or whether the webserver fetches that image from
a share on another server.

No shares, lots of DNS routing and other nifty stuff.

> I have a lot of room on my NAS, but not on my webservers.  When we cache images for just
our county, depending on how many scale levels I create and tile size, I can end up with several
hundred GB for just a single year of aerial photos.  Reading those images on local (webserver)
storage vs network storage is what I'm trying to decide.

That's quite a lot. :)

How many are in use at any given moment?  A caching app that was able to
preload adjacent image tiles would work if you wanted to build something.

[key:62590808]