tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: afs3-rmtsys: connections keept open
Date Wed, 16 Jan 2013 16:25:30 GMT
David Kumar wrote:
> Hey,
>
> my name is David an I'm working for a electronic consumer company in Germany we are selling
and producing TV's, receiver, satellite dishes etc..

> We got some serious trouble with our tomcats. Basically we using two 7.0.12 tomcats on
a single Debian 6.0. One is running on port 7090 and the other on 9080. Time after time both
tomcats are crashing. I found too many open files in tomcatlogfiles.
> Both Servers are running with one user (TOMCAT).
> After changing max open files for that particular user I was able to get more than 1024
open files. Currently I'm checking log files every few minutes. With lsof|grep tomcat|wc -l
I'm counting the open files by user. Usually there are around 600-700 open files. But sometimes
the count grows and we have more than 1200 open files.
> When ever the server does have so many open files I checked: lsof -u tomcat an figured
out there are many connection waiting to be closed. The connections are looking like this:
>  java    22312 tomcat  153u  IPv6            1508517      0t0     TCP localhost:afs3-rmtsys->localhost:50127
(CLOSE_WAIT)
> I googled a bit for afs3-rmtsys and figured out that the protocol seems to be a remote
cache manager. But I couldn't find any more information.

> Does anyone of you know what my problem might be?

Hi.
I did some googling too, and got this explanation of "afs" :
http://www.debian-administration.org/article/610/OpenAFS_installation_on_Debian#intro-afs

So apparently, this is some kind of network filesystem.
Can you tell us where exactly your Tomcat is installed, in terms of the files ?

What you are explaining above sounds to me as if many files used are on some shared
network location, and it may just be that it is the heavy usage of such files (and the
opening/closing of corresponding TCP connections to access these files), that could be the

cause of your problem.
A "CLOSE_WAIT" state in itself is normal in the TCP protocol. It happens (temporarily)
when one side of the connection closes it, and waits for the other side to acknowledge the

close.  (Or something like that, I would have to check really).