tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: Tomcat doesn't process error messages
Date Thu, 03 Jan 2013 22:58:10 GMT
Husarik, Branko wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I will try to clarify the process as I see it:
>
> Request message sending process  from Oracle to Web Service
> Oracle --> HTTP --> Tomcat --> Input/Output stream --> webapp --> Input/Output
stream --> Tomcat --> HTTPS --> Web Service

I think that this is wrong. Tomcat should not be in this part :
webapp --> Input/Output stream --> Tomcat --> HTTPS --> Web Service

Tomcat plays no role at all in the dialog between the webapp and the Web Service.

> Response message receiving process from Web Service to Oracle
> Web Service--> HTTPS --> Tomcat --> Input/Output stream --> webapp -->
Input/Output stream --> Tomcat --> HTTP --> Oracle

Similarly, this part is wrong :
Web Service--> HTTPS --> Tomcat --> Input/Output stream --> webapp
Tomcat plays no role there.

Instead, it is the webapp which sets up its own independent HTTPS connection to the Web
service, writes to that connection and reads from it.  Tomcat does not even know that this

HTTPS connection exists.

I think that you misunderstand the nature of the problem. You seem to think that Tomcat is

involved in the dialog between the webapp and the web service, so you think that when it
goes wrong, it must be due to something in Tomcat.
But Tomcat is /not/ involved in that part.
So I believe that you are looking in the wrong place.

> The problem occures during the receiving stage (Tomcat --> Input/Output stream -->
webapp) when the response from Web service cointains "HTTP/1.1 500 Internal Server Error"

> Webapp modifies the message (for example it adds basic authentication). I hope I don't
miss something Big.

> Braňko

from Tomcat by reading it's input stream. Problem is, there is only error stream cointaining
tomcat error coming from Tomcat. I think it is caused by message from web service, which cointains
" HTTP/1.1 500 Internal Server Error " in HTTP protocol and SOAP message is not forwarded.
It seems to me like common logic, but i don't know, how to set Tomcat to forward these messages
to input stream.

> Hi.
> Personally, I do not understand what you are trying to say.  I believe that there is
some incorrect understanding on your part of how this is supposed to work.

> In the scenario as you describe it,
> - Oracle is the HTTP client for Tomcat (just like any browser could be a client)
> - inside Tomcat, runs some webapp which happens to be a SOAP proxy. What this webapp
does, is unknown to Tomcat.  As far as Tomcat is concerned, this webapp is supposed to process
some HTTP requests (depending on the URL of the request), and generate a HTTP response.
> Schematically, we have this :
>
> request :
> Oracle client --> HTTP --> Tomcat --> webapp (--> ???? (unknown to Tomcat))
>
> response :
> ( ???? (unknown to Tomcat) --> ) webapp --> Tomcat --> HTTP --> Oracle client
>
> Repeat : what the webapp does inside is unknown and of (almost) no interest to Tomcat.
> (For example, if the webapp uses HTTPS to communicate with something else, Tomcat never
knows this, and never plays any role in that part) So in this case, if the webapp generates
a response which happens to be a 500 error, Tomcat will forward this to the (Oracle client).
 Tomcat will never read any "input stream coming back from the webapp" or anything like this.