tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Daniel Mikusa <dmik...@vmware.com>
Subject Re: Communication flow with different connectors
Date Wed, 09 Jan 2013 13:28:55 GMT
On Jan 9, 2013, at 7:31 AM, vicki@thepenguin.org wrote:

> Hello:
>
> I am seeking to understand the differences between using mod_jk and mod_ajp and mod_proxy_ajp.

This is a good article that explains the different ways to proxy to an Apache HTTPD server.
 It's a little old, but still good.

  http://www.tomcatexpert.com/blog/2010/06/16/deciding-between-modjk-modproxyhttp-and-modproxyajp

> Ideally I would love to see a diagram of communication between apache and tomcat, but
I haven't found anything like that. I want to confirm my understanding of the data flow.

Not quite sure what you mean by this, gonna take a couple guesses...

1.) If you are looking for an explanation of how a request travels from a client to Tomcat,
then this might help.

When using mod_jk or mod_proxy_ajp, traffic flows from the client to Tocmat like this...

   client  -> HTTP(s) -> Apache HTTPD -> AJP -> Tomcat

then from Tomcat back to the client over the same path.

If using mod_proxy_http, it is similar but looks like this.

   client  -> HTTP(s) -> Apache HTTPD -> HTTP(s) -> Tomcat

then from Tomcat back to the client over the same path.

2.) If you are looking for more details on the AJP protocol and how data is sent between HTTPD
& Tomcat, I would suggest starting here.

  https://tomcat.apache.org/connectors-doc/ajp/ajpv13a.html

Then I would suggest that you run Wireshark and take a look at some actual traffic.  It gives
you a good visualization of the traffic.

3.) Something else?  Please try to explain more.

> Can someone explain the three functionally or point me to a site that does?

See above.

Dan