tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Delia, Brett" <Brett.De...@nike.com>
Subject catalina.properties on Windows 7 64bit
Date Mon, 14 Jan 2013 18:15:19 GMT
Greetings,

I have a frustrating issue that I see when I try to set up an environment on my Windows laptop,
where I do development, to match my Linux servers that our applications reside.  Everything
seems to behave the way I would expect with the exception of setting the shared.loader property
in catalina.properties.

On Linux I can set it up like this:

shared.loader=${catalina.base}/sharedProperties,${catalina.base}/ sharedProperties /*.properties,${catalina.home}/
sharedProperties,${catalina.home}/ sharedProperties /*.properties

But on my Windows laptop that does not work and results in the server throwing the following
during start up:

SEVERE: Class loader creation threw exception
java.io.IOException: The system cannot find the file specified
     at java.io.WinNTFileSystem.canonicalize0(Native Method)
     at java.io.Win32FileSystem.canonicalize(Win32FileSystem.java:396)
     at java.io.File.getCanonicalPath(File.java:559)
     at org.apache.catalina.startup.ClassLoaderFactory.createClassLoader(ClassLoaderFactory.java:201)
     at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.createClassLoader(Bootstrap.java:174)
     at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.initClassLoaders(Bootstrap.java:98)
     at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.init(Bootstrap.java:207)
     at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstrap.java:391)

I can get it working if I explicitly name all of the property files that might be in that
directory like so:

shared.loader=${catalina.base}/sharedProperties,${catalina.base}/ sharedProperties /foo.properties,${catalina.base}/
sharedProperties /bar.properties,${catalina.home}/ sharedProperties,${catalina.home}/ sharedProperties
/foo.properties,${catalina.home}/sharedProperties /bar.properties

My intent is to not have to do that but to leave it more generic, like we do on the Linux
servers.   This makes it so that each application that has a property file that need to be
dropped in that shareProperties directory does not have to result in updating the Tomcat configuration.

Any insight on why I cannot seem to configure this the same way on Windows and Linux would
be greatly appreciated.  According to the properties file itself I should be able to do so.

Thanks
Brett Delia