tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Delia, Brett" <>
Subject on Windows 7 64bit
Date Mon, 14 Jan 2013 18:15:19 GMT

I have a frustrating issue that I see when I try to set up an environment on my Windows laptop,
where I do development, to match my Linux servers that our applications reside.  Everything
seems to behave the way I would expect with the exception of setting the shared.loader property

On Linux I can set it up like this:

shared.loader=${catalina.base}/sharedProperties,${catalina.base}/ sharedProperties /*.properties,${catalina.home}/
sharedProperties,${catalina.home}/ sharedProperties /*.properties

But on my Windows laptop that does not work and results in the server throwing the following
during start up:

SEVERE: Class loader creation threw exception The system cannot find the file specified
     at Method)
     at org.apache.catalina.startup.ClassLoaderFactory.createClassLoader(
     at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.createClassLoader(
     at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.initClassLoaders(
     at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.init(
     at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(

I can get it working if I explicitly name all of the property files that might be in that
directory like so:

shared.loader=${catalina.base}/sharedProperties,${catalina.base}/ sharedProperties /,${catalina.base}/
sharedProperties /,${catalina.home}/ sharedProperties,${catalina.home}/ sharedProperties
/,${catalina.home}/sharedProperties /

My intent is to not have to do that but to leave it more generic, like we do on the Linux
servers.   This makes it so that each application that has a property file that need to be
dropped in that shareProperties directory does not have to result in updating the Tomcat configuration.

Any insight on why I cannot seem to configure this the same way on Windows and Linux would
be greatly appreciated.  According to the properties file itself I should be able to do so.

Brett Delia