tomcat-users mailing list archives

From David Kumar <>
Subject afs3-rmtsys: connections keept open
Date Wed, 16 Jan 2013 15:52:47 GMT

my name is David an I'm working for a electronic consumer company in Germany we are selling
and producing TV's, receiver, satellite dishes etc..

We got some serious trouble with our tomcats. Basically we using two 7.0.12 tomcats on a single
Debian 6.0. One is running on port 7090 and the other on 9080. Time after time both tomcats
are crashing. I found too many open files in tomcatlogfiles.
Both Servers are running with one user (TOMCAT).
After changing max open files for that particular user I was able to get more than 1024 open
files. Currently I'm checking log files every few minutes. With lsof|grep tomcat|wc -l I'm
counting the open files by user. Usually there are around 600-700 open files. But sometimes
the count grows and we have more than 1200 open files.
When ever the server does have so many open files I checked: lsof -u tomcat an figured out
there are many connection waiting to be closed. The connections are looking like this:
 java    22312 tomcat  153u  IPv6            1508517      0t0     TCP localhost:afs3-rmtsys->localhost:50127
I googled a bit for afs3-rmtsys and figured out that the protocol seems to be a remote cache
manager. But I couldn't find any more information.

Does anyone of you know what my problem might be?

Mit freundlichen Grüßen
David Kumar
Softwareentwickler, B. Sc.
Abteilung Infotech - Interaktiv