tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Kevin Priebe" <ke...@realtyserver.com>
Subject NIO connector issue: SEVERE: Error processing request
Date Tue, 15 Jan 2013 22:34:46 GMT
Hi,

We have a setup with Nginx load balancing between 2 clustered tomcat instances.  1 instance
is on the same server as Nginx and the other is on a separate physical server (same rackspace).
 We’re using pretty standard default settings and are using the NIO tomcat connector.  Tomcat
version is 7.0.32 running on Debian.

The problem is with the second tomcat instance where at random times will start showing SEVERE
errors in the tomcat logs, which gets worse and worse until the instance is unusable and has
to be restarted.  At first we thought it was related to high load, but once it happened early
in the morning when load was fairly low.  It does seem to happen more often at high load times
though, and is about once a day, sometimes twice.  AWSTATS says we get just over a million
hits per day to the secondary tomcat instance.  Here’s the errors:

Jan 15, 2013 11:22:21 AM org.apache.coyote.http11.AbstractHttp11Processor process

SEVERE: Error processing request

java.lang.NullPointerException

Jan 15, 2013 11:22:21 AM org.apache.coyote.http11.AbstractHttp11Processor endRequest

SEVERE: Error finishing response

java.lang.NullPointerException

        at org.apache.coyote.http11.InternalNioOutputBuffer.flushBuffer(InternalNioOutputBuffer.java:233)

        at org.apache.coyote.http11.InternalNioOutputBuffer.endRequest(InternalNioOutputBuffer.java:121)

        at org.apache.coyote.http11.AbstractHttp11Processor.endRequest(AbstractHttp11Processor.java:1653)

        at org.apache.coyote.http11.AbstractHttp11Processor.process(AbstractHttp11Processor.java:1046)

        at org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol$AbstractConnectionHandler.process(AbstractProtocol.java:585)

        at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.NioEndpoint$SocketProcessor.run(NioEndpoint.java:1653)

        at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1110)

        at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:603)

        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:722)

Nothing else helpful seems to show up in the logs before it starts happening.  This ONLY happens
on the tomcat instance on a separate machine from Nginx.  Any ideas what might be happening
and how it can be resolved?  We’re not even sure this is related to tomcat or something
in the communications before it gets to tomcat, but we’re looking at all options right now.
 Thanks,

Kevin

  _____

I am using the Free version of SPAMfighter <http://www.spamfighter.com/len> .