tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Konstantin Preißer <verlag.preis...@t-online.de>
Subject RE: html page can not present an java Applet embedded in the page
Date Tue, 29 Jan 2013 18:04:59 GMT
Hi,

I don't know why Oracle says that you need different syntaxes for IE and other browsers (that
probably applied to old versions of the HTML spec and browsers), since e.g. the following
syntax works for me with IE, Firefox and Chrome (which is also given as a example in the current
HTML5 spec [1]):

  <object type="application/x-java-applet">
    <param name="code" value="mypackage.MyClass" />
    <param name="archive" value="MyJarFile.jar" />
    <param name="java_arguments" value="-Dsun.java2d.d3d=false" />

    Your don't have the Java plugin installed...
  </object>

However, I would recommend the <embed> element because it allows Browsers to display
a specific error message when the Java plugin is not installed:

  <embed type="application/x-java-applet" code="mypackage.MyClass" archive="MyJarFile.jar"
java_arguments="-Dsun.java2d.d3d=false" />

Regards,
Konstantin Preißer

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/html51/embedded-content-0.html#the-object-element