tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Cédric Couralet <>
Subject Re: JMX with Listener
Date Mon, 17 Dec 2012 16:18:35 GMT
2012/12/17 André Warnier <>:
> Cédric Couralet wrote:
>>> Where do you /set/ CATALINA_BASE?
>> Hum nowhere. Ok my mistake but i set catalina.base as a jvm options and I
>> would like to reference it in another.  As I say it, I don't think java
>> can
>> do it so i may be out of luck.
[snip great explanation on tomcat as a windows service]
> Later if you want to change it, you can probably do this by running
> tomcat7.exe with the //US (update service) switch (see the doc).

Thank you for all this :)
I know I can probably do it by updating (or uninstall/install) the
service, but I was wondering if one could set a jvm option like
-Dtest=true and then reference it in another Java option like
-Dtest2=${test}, but it is far from being a question in topic.

My initial problem is resolved :
 - JMXRemoteLifecycleListener listens on all interface -> seems normal
as any connection from remote hosts seems to be rejected.
 - the authenticate=true was not taken into account by tomcat -> it
was due to a space after the "true" in the java_options for the
service. That space cause the line
authenticate=Boolean.parseBolean(authenticateValue) to return false.
It can't happen when running in command line, as the spaces will be
considered as one by the shell.

Thanks everyone for the big help.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail: