tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Cédric Couralet <>
Subject JMX with Listener
Date Tue, 11 Dec 2012 12:50:44 GMT

In our tomcat, we use at the moment the JMXRemoteLifecycleListener
configured as :

<Listener className="org.apache.catalina.mbeans.JmxRemoteLifecycleListener"
rmiServerPortPlatform="10002" useLocalPorts="true" />

The configuration for the windows service is :${CATALINA_BASE}/conf/jmxremote.password${CATALINA_BASE}/conf/jmxremote.access

with jmxremote.access being a textfile with:

nagios readonly

and jmxremote.password :

nagios nagios

Version and OS information :
 - Tomcat 6.0.35
 - Windows server 2003 32bit
 - jdk 1.6.36

Now for my problems or questions:
 - Apparently, the Jmx listener listens on (confirmed by a
netstat) on the two ports configured for the listener, is it normal ?
I thought that useLocalPorts would restrain the listening only to
As i can't seem to connect on that ports with a remote host, I think
it is normal but I would like some clarifications if possible.

 - with jvisualvm i am able to connect through jmx with the url
without entering the credentials (nagios:nagios).
I thought that by entering, even read access would
be restricted.

Thank you for any answers.

Cédric Couralet

To unsubscribe, e-mail: