tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Yuri E <themachinesickn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: I can only access Tomcat 7 when running via console (startup.bat)
Date Wed, 12 Dec 2012 02:08:23 GMT
2012/12/11 André Warnier <aw@ice-sa.com>

> Yuri E wrote:
>

>>>  I added a exception for the 8080 port in the Windows XP Firewall
>> settings.
>> Tomcat is working now.
>> Thanks for all the answers.
>>

> Yuri, for me that still does not explain why you could access Tomcat from
> "outside" when it was running in a console, but not when it was running as
> a service.
> Just opening port 8080 should either allow both, or none.
> Something here doesn't fit.

I know that's weird, but It's the exactly what happens to me.

Firewall status:
- on -> only the "console way" is accessible from Internet (outside my
local network)
- on, with 8080 port added to "Exceptions List" (Exceptions tab in Firewall
Settings) -> both ways are accessible from Internet
- off -> both ways are accessible from Internet

> Or what exception exactly did you add ?

I went to Windows Firewall Settings window, then, in the "Exceptions" tab,
I added the 8080 port (I also named as TomcatTCP) with the "TCP" option
selected, then I added the 8080 port again (named as TomcatUDP) with the
"UDP" option selected.

After all this, two itens were added to the Exceptions List: TomcatTCP and
TomcatUDP. Then I could access Tomcat (so my app too) from global Internet
(using the router's IP).