tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Williams, Nick" <nicholas.willi...@ul.com>
Subject RE: JDK 1.6 or JDK 1.7
Date Thu, 06 Dec 2012 19:24:10 GMT

 Appreciate your advice.

> We plan to run a vendor application on Tomcat but will customize it to natch our needs,
using JSPs.

> Thanks.
>
>                       -Shanti

We have been using Tomcat 7.0.25-7.0.33 for about 9 months now on Java 7. We haven't experienced
any issues at all so far. Everything runs really smoothly.

AFAIK, the most import question is, "does the vendor application you are running support Java
7?" Tomcat 7 runs well on Java 7, but the application you want to run in Tomcat may not run
well on Java 7.

Also, keep in mind that while Tomcat 7 does run well on Java 7, by default it compiles JSPs
with a target version of Java 6. If the vendor application DOES support Java 7 and is meant
to be compiled with Java 7, you may need to change compilerSourceVM and compilerTargetVM from
the default value of "1.6" to "1.7". See http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-7.0-doc/jasper-howto.html#Configuration
for more information.

Hope this helps,

Nick

This e-mail may contain privileged or confidential information. If you are not the intended
recipient: (1) you may not disclose, use, distribute, copy or rely upon this message or attachment(s);
and (2) please notify the sender by reply e-mail, and then delete this message and its attachment(s).
Underwriters Laboratories Inc. and its affiliates disclaim all liability for any errors, omissions,
corruption or virus in this message or any attachments.