tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Casper Wandahl Schmidt <kalle.pri...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Tomcat 5.5.9 compatibility with Java 1.7
Date Fri, 28 Dec 2012 09:32:05 GMT
Den 28-12-2012 09:41, Shakun Nag skrev:
> Hi,
>
> I am working on a web application which has been build on JDK/JRE 1.6.0_06
> and has been deployed on Tomcat 5.5.9 server. This application is on
> production since 2008. There is a plan to upgrade JDK/JVM to 1.7.0_07. My
> concern is that after the upgrade of JDK and JVM, will the application be
> deploying and running successfully on the aforesaid version of Tomcat i.e.
> 5.5.9 with out any issues? There is no information available either on
> java<http://www.javaranch.com/> or
> on Apace Tomcat site regrading the compatibility of java 1.7 with tomcat
> 5.5.9. The only information I was able to collect is that Tomcat 5.5.9
> requires minimum 1.4 version. There are no resources available for the
> maximum compatible version.
>
> Please let me know if somebody has done such upgrade of their application
> or is aware of any known compatibility issue. I am afraid that we will need
> to upgrade tomcat as well along with upgrading to java 1.7. Do let me know
> if any more information is required.
>
> PS: This is an urgent request to evaluate the feasibility. So we don't have
> much time, budget and resources to carry out a POC.
>
> Thanks,
> Shakun

I don't know about the Tomcat 5.5.9 on JVM 1.7 but why not upgrade
Tomcat as well? I couldn't find 5.5.9 in the archives, but 5.5.12 is
from 2005-09-23 and 5.0.30 is from 2004-11-24 so I guess 5.5.9 is from
somewhere in 2005 which is almost 8 years ago! O' boy that is out of
date and has some serious security flaws.

Med venlig hilsen/Kind regards
Casper W. Schmidt