tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: Does maxPostSize has an effect on file upload?
Date Fri, 14 Dec 2012 22:07:10 GMT
Mark Thomas wrote:
> On 14/12/2012 21:13, André Warnier wrote:
>
> <snip/>
>
>>  If it's "multipart/form-data", it delegates to another method,
>> parseParts().
>
> <snip/>
>
>>  Why the Content-Length is not checked, I am unsure. It seems it would
>> be less expensive to throw the exception before ever trying to parse the
>> parts. However, this APPEARS to be the functional equivalent of checking
>> the Content-Length.
>
> I think that is simply an oversight in the commit [1] that added the
> checking. If a content-length is present then checking it would be
> simpler. The existing checks need to be kept for the chunked request
> body case.
>
> As always, patches welcome.

In the Apache httpd DAV implementation, the LimitXMLRequestBody is the only way to control

the maximum size of an upload.  It is a p-i-t-a, because that size does not relate easily

to the size of the file one is really uploading, making it difficult to set a sensible limit.

The way Tomcat is apparently doing it now is much more sensible, in my humble opinion,
because it does allow a direct and easy comparison with the files being uploaded.
And since as per above it needs to be kept in some cases anyway, my vote - if I had one -

would be to not change it.