tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier>
Subject Re: Does maxPostSize has an effect on file upload?
Date Fri, 14 Dec 2012 19:15:26 GMT
Christopher Schultz wrote:
>>> From: Christopher Schultz []
>>> Subject: Re: Does maxPostSize has an effect on file upload?
>>> I'm not so sure the docs make it clear.
>> I think you have to read the relevant RFC:
>> which is implicitly part of the
>> doc.
> I'm not sure what part of that spec would apply.
> Given the (Tomcat) documentation, one might reasonably believe that
> the maxPostSize would refer to either the total Content-Length for an
> application/x-www-form-urlencoded POST message or an individual
> Content-Length of a single part of a multipart/form-data POST message.
> The latter is not the case, and I think it's worth pointing that out.

Just a suggestion : maybe one of the Tomcat/Java gurus here could first explain to what
the maxPostSize attribute of the Connector really does relate ?
What /is/ being measured there ?
Is it, like, just the request's "Content-length" header, or is there a counter which
really counts the bytes being read e.g.
(and yes, obviously, if this is limited to an "application/x-www-form-urlencoded" POST,
then it wouldn't be just the Content-length header)
(and, if it covers a "multipart/form-data" POST, then is it the total body size, before of

after decoding the Base-64 encoded bits ?)
After all, this is a "Tomcat users" list, not a "Tomcat dev" list; so we can't really
expect the public here to go delve into the Java code to find out.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message