tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: Word.Applicaiton acvivex components & tomcat & Windows 7
Date Sat, 08 Dec 2012 12:01:19 GMT
Jan Kostelansky wrote:
> Thank you André,
>
> here are details for your questions
> - when you have this problem, is Tomcat running as a Windows Service ?
> Yes it is running as service. I tried to run under local system account, and my account,
which can open MS WORD, behavior is the same
> - where is the document that you are trying to open ? on a local disk of the Tomcat host,
or on a network drive ?
> The file is on local HDD of tomcat host, outside of program files directory.
> - what version of Java is running Tomcat ? a 32-bit or 64-bit version ?
> It is Windows 7 64 bit release.

Well, then you are probable having exactly the kind of problem that is described in the
Microsoft KB article.
And there is nothing that the people on the Tomcat list can do to help.  It is not a
problem related to Tomcat or Java.  It is a problem related to running Microsoft Office
"Interop" modules in the context of a Windows Service.

As an easy way to verify this :
Instead of running Tomcat as a Service, run it as an application in a command window.
For that, you will need to download the "zip" version of tomcat, and unzip it in your
Tomcat directory (or somewhere else).  Then use the "startup.bat" file to start Tomcat as

an application in the console. And then try your application again.
It then it works without problems, it confirms the diagnostic above.