tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: Word.Applicaiton acvivex components & tomcat & Windows 7
Date Fri, 07 Dec 2012 23:49:17 GMT
Jan Kostelansky wrote:
> Hi,
>

> I am experiencing problems running vb script under tomcat.
>

> More information.
>

> The script
>
> Creates instance of Word.Applicaiton ActiveX component
>
> Opens document
>
> Prints to dedicated printer
>

> I created simple java program which
>
> Creates new process
>
> Executes vb script
>

> I created servlet which does precisely the same as simple java program.
>

> If I run simple program - everything is fine
>
> If I run servlet in tomcat7 under Win XP - everything is fine
>
> If I run servlet in tomcat7 under Win 7 64 bit - program stops when
> Word.Applicaiton ActiveX component opens docx document.
>

> This is not tomcat error precisely as it works on XP. I have a feeling
> enhanced Windows7 security causes this issues.
>
> However I hope somebody from tomcat community solved this issue.

It may be that Tomcat - which is open-source software - just does not like these
proprietary programs.  So it stops when you try.
That may also be revenge, for all the times Windows stops working when you try to run
open-source programs on it.

Now some serious questions :
- when you have this problem, is Tomcat running as a Windows Service ?
- where is the document that you are trying to open ? on a local disk of the Tomcat host,

or on a network drive ?
- what version of Java is running Tomcat ? a 32-bit or 64-bit version ?

And then a note : if you are having this issue when Tomcat is running as a Service :

Microsoft explicitly warns that Microsoft Office components are /not/ supported for
running "as a Windows Service", and that they may not work or cause strange errors.
That is because Microsoft Office programs expect to be running in a process that has a
console, and Services do not have one (among other reasons).

See this : http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q257757#kb2

Of course, it may also be because they like to sell their programs on a "per-workstation"

base, and running as a Service usually means that you are using them for more than one
user. (They even say so in that article, see the licensing part).

Note that I do not work for Microsoft and I do not necessarily agree with what they say or

the reasons that they give.  But I have tried similar things myself, and I know that it is

very difficult, and not guaranteed to be stable, to run this in a service context.
You /do/ get strange errors, you get errors in Word that you do not get in Excel and
vice-versa, you get problems under Windows7 that you do not get under Windows XP and
vice-versa.  Just like what you are seeing.