tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: I can only access Tomcat 7 when running via console (startup.bat)
Date Fri, 07 Dec 2012 18:55:43 GMT
Yuri E wrote:

> stopped
> when
> http://localhost:8080),
>>> If Tomcat's welcome page is accessible then Tomcat is up and running.
>  It's likely that you application failed to deploy.
>>> Have you looked at the server logs and your application logs to see if
> there were any problems?
>> +1
>>
>> The description above sounds like the OP installed a brand new fresh
>> copy of Tomcat, but have not deployed a copy his app on it.
>>
>> There is "manager" webapp available in the standard distributive, that
>> allows one to see what apps are deployed.
>
> With Tomcat running as service, I tested my app with
> "localhost:8080/[myapp]/[servlet]", and it worked,
>
> What basically happens is that I can't access Tomcat (running as service)
> from web (outside my router subnet) . In all other ways, the connection
> works.

This may not be the type of answer that you are expecting.

I am relatively familiar with tomcat under Windows, and if your explanations of what works

and what doesn't above are exact, then I don't know either.
It does not seem to make sense that you can connect to Tomcat from outside when Tomcat
runs in a console, but not when the same Tomcat runs as a service.
The reason is probably not with Tomcat, but with something outside of Tomcat.
But it's not a firewall, because you can connect to tomcat when it runs in a console.
And this is Windows XP, so it cannot be p.i.t.a. UAC either.

Maybe check the following :
when Tomcat is running, in a separate command window enter the command
netstat -abn
It should show (in the "local" column), the ports on which something is listening, and in

the last columns, the pid & name of the associated process.

Do this once when tomcat runs in a command window, and once when it runs as a service, and

compare.

You should see at least a line like this :

as a service :
   TCP    0.0.0.0:8080           0.0.0.0:0              LISTEN         4028
   [tomcat6.exe]

in a command window :
   TCP    0.0.0.0:8080           0.0.0.0:0              LISTEN         2112
   [java.exe]

That will tell you if it is at least started each time, and listening on the same port.
You should also look each time in the tomcat logs of course.