tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: mod_proxy SSL protocol support for balancermember
Date Fri, 07 Dec 2012 16:09:24 GMT
Vladimir,

on this list, the rule is to not "top post".
Post your answer below the original message, or below the question to which it refers.
This way, one can follow the conversation logically.

Vladimir Girnet wrote:
 > Here is my working configuration - httpd proxy (also on RHEL 5)
 > ----------------------
 >   SSLProxyEngine On
 >   <Proxy balancer://tomcat_cluster>
 >     BalancerMember https://10.10.10.11:8443
 >     BalancerMember https://10.10.10.12:8443
 >   </Proxy>
 >

 >   # Pass requests to balancer
 >   ProxyPass / balancer://tomcat_cluster/
 >   ProxyPassReverse / balancer://tomcat_cluster/
 > ---------------------
 >
 > --

Yes, but this is not using the AJP protocol.
The AJP protocol does not support SSL (so using mod_proxy_AJP will not work, and mod_jk
neither)
If you really need AJP, there are possibilities using SSL tunnels etc. Search the list
archives for those.

But maybe a question first : the usual setup with a front-end load-balancer is to use
HTTPS between the client browser and the front-end, but "terminate" HTTPS at the
front-end, and make a normal connection from the front-end to the back-end tomcats, which

tend to be in the same local network as the front-end anyway.
Having a first encryption-decryption and then a second encryption-decryption again
introduces a significant overhead.
So, do you have a specific reason for which you want to do this ?