tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Christopher Schultz <>
Subject Re: JDK 1.6 or JDK 1.7
Date Thu, 06 Dec 2012 23:00:36 GMT

On 12/6/12 2:03 PM, Shanti Suresh wrote:
> I am trying to decide whether to run Tomcat 7.0.33 on JDK 1.6 or
> JDK 1.7. Tomcat-7 release notes say:
> Tomcat 7.0 is designed to run on Java SE 6 and later
> But I remember reading on this list about some issues folks are
> having with JDK 1.7.  Appreciate your advice.

The first few releases of Java 1.7 had some things that broke a few
things badly. I believe those have all been corrected by now.

I've been using Oracle Java 1.7.0 64-bit JVM for a while (6 months?)
in development and I have had no problems at all. We have a non-Tomcat
server (Mule ESB) running on OpenJDK 1.7 in another development
environment and that seems to be very stable as well.

As always, test everything. I dunno how others do it, but I generally
run with a new major version of Java in my own, personal development
environment for about 6 months before we put it into our general
development environments. Then we run in development for a few
test/release cycles before we push it out to demo/production.

We do the same thing with Tomcat, actually. We're just about to go
into production with Tomcat 7 and probably a few months later, we'll
upgrade to Java 1.7 as well.

Just in time for Tomcat 8. ;)

Hope that helps,
- -chris