tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: Issues Logging wtith log4j at common and webapp levels
Date Mon, 03 Dec 2012 20:21:16 GMT
David Johle wrote:
> Well I managed to accomplish my goal 100% with the help of some new
> features in Log4j 2.x (currently beta-3).
>
> My eventual setup was to use the BasicContextSelector to ensure only a
> single logging heirarchy was created for the whole VM regardless of
> webapps.  Then I tag events per-webapp using a ServletFilter to
> manipulate the ThreadContext, and send them all through a central
> RoutingAppender which in turn directs the entries (based on the tag) to
> the appropriate FileAppender.
>
> Since the tagging is done at the request level, both webapp specific
> classes, central libraries, and even VM-wide singletons used by a
> request all carry that tag (it uses ThreadLocal internally) and thus get
> routed properly.
>
> As for the remaining System.out calls in JSP files, separate Loggers are
> defined for those to capture the events created by swallowOutput (which
> don't carry the tag) and manually route them the appropriate
> FileAppender.  Eventually that extra fluff can go away though.
>
> Another nice part about this is I only have a single instance of the
> logj4 libraries & a single centralized configuration file, which is A
> Good Thing(tm) for this setup.
>
> Lots of other features in log4j2 that I was able to benefit from as well
> like dynamic reconfiguration and such, so I also set up my internal
> Tomcat logging (read: anything without a tag) to route into Tomcat's
> log.  Sorry JULI, you just weren't good enough for me ;)

I am not sure that I understand everything here (Tomcat logging has long been quite a
puzzle for me), but I seem to perceive the hope of seeing a long-time dream come true, as

a sysadmin with limited Tomcat/Java/Juli/log4j knowledge : setting up *one* logging
configuration that will just swallow everything from Tomcat and webapps - no matter how
sneaky - into preferably one logfile to start with, with a sensible rotation. And /then/
start refining, as needed.

If so, many thanks.

Would you care to enter the setup instructions in a WiKi article ? I'm willing to be the
test pigeon with a couple of running Tomcats, own webapps, foreign webapps etc.