tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Mark Eggers <its_toas...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: tomcat 7 udp connector
Date Sat, 01 Dec 2012 23:19:22 GMT
On 12/1/2012 1:15 PM, Jost Boekemeier wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I don't think tomcat is hard-wired the way you suggest.
>
> And the servlet spec doesn't require http. In the past I've written a
> servlet container which uses raw tcp instead of http.
>
> The tomcat jee container is needed by php java bridge to rund php code from
> Java.

Sigh, please don't top post. I almost missed the vital key.

See at the end of the message.

> Probably the tomcat dev ml is more appropriate.
> Am 01.12.2012 21:50 schrieb "Pid" <pid@pidster.com>:

>>> Jost,
>>>
>>> I wrote up a nice analysis of how you can accomplish your goals. Then I
>>> read the following lines:

>>> I glanced at the Tomcat code, and it seems to be built in complete
>>> protocol stacks (HTTP, AJP, clustering). So without major Tomcat surgery
>>> I don't think so.
>>>
>>> I was thinking of a command and control application along with a
>>> stand-alone server, much like Derby has:
>>>
>>> http://db.apache.org/derby/docs/10.1/adminguide/cadminservlet98430.html
>>>
>>> However, the above constraint eliminates that approach.
>>>
>>> There are some really interesting hackish ways to approach this (JNDI
>>> beans for clients, ServletContextListener to start servers), but that's
>>> far off the beaten path.
>>>
>>> Maybe if you stepped back and wrote what you're trying to accomplish
>>> people can suggest some approaches.
>>>
>>> All of that is probably quite a bit off-topic from the mailing list.
>>
>> Well, that saves me some work.
>>
>> I'll just add the following: it's really important to comprehend that
>> Tomcat is a Servlet Container and by extension, to understand what a
>> Servlet Container is.
>>
>> Reading an appropriate version of the Servlet Specification is therefore
>> a good idea.

Jost,

You're the project admin (creator, lead developer) for PHP / Java bridge:

http://php-java-bridge.sourceforge.net/pjb/

So now I'm really confused.

Basically, I'm reading that you can drop your WAR file into Tomcat, add
the appropriate PHP application, and everything just works. The code
would either work with the PHP application residing within Tomcat, or
the PHP application residing in an HTTP server and sending requests to
Tomcat.

There are lots of interesting challenges in the documentation, but I
won't dig into those right now.

So, maybe you can restate your question?

I guess you need a j-random style port in Tomcat to support the HTTP/XML
communications between a web server and Apache Tomcat?

Since you are sending HTTP, why do you need a raw UDP or TCP socket when
Tomcat has multiple HTTP connectors available (and you can run them on
any port)?

. . . . confused
/mde/